Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Project #1

 
 
A while back, before we moved into our rental, we inherited these two awesome wingback chairs. I saw the potential in them right away.  I have never tackled reupholstering something.  I am surrounded by fabric all day, every day.  If I'm not, I'm looking at it online to see what I can buy.  I knew what this could be, and when my boyfriend and I bought our house, it finally gave me a reason to finish them. 
 
The chairs weren't in bad condition, the arms and the seat were just a little dirty.  No rips or anything, they looked like they had hardly been sat in!  As I started to peel back the layers, the foam and padding were all in perfect condition and completely reusable.  I wanted something with a pop of colour, and finally settled on this amazing fabric.  It was hard to capture the exact colour on the camera, it's even brighter in person!
 
It took a little trial and error, having to pull the fabric and operate the staple gun at the same time.  For the first bit, I had a hard time getting the staples to even go into the wood of the chair.  Eventually I managed to get the hang of it all.  Surprisingly, no injuries were sustained!!
 
 
I didn't post a play by play of the taking apart and putting back together process.  I was so anxious to get it done, that once I started I didn't want to stop.  If you start by peeling off the back of the chair first, the rest is self-explanatory.  You will see how it was all put together.  I kept each piece and used it as a guide when cutting the new piece. 
 




 
 
 
There you have it! We are going with something a little more neutral for the other chair.  Renovations are underway to the new house, and I'm getting wayyyy to anxious to post pictures.  I might have to post a sneak peak of what we've been up too. 
 
Some people may think we are crazy taking on a total gut renovation, but I don't think we would want it any other way.  It's fun and we can make it our own from top to bottom, start with these chairs!
 
Fabric from Sew Fine Fabric

No comments: