Monday, July 2, 2012

A Sneak Peek

I recently moved.  This gave me the oppourtunity to design a bedroom basically from scratch.  I started doing some research and not long after realized the vision I wanted.  I wanted things that handmade by me, restored by me, and things that showed a little bit of wear and tare.  It's not quite ready yet but I thought I'd show you what I had so far. 

This is a sentimental piece to me.  It is an old window frame, with a coat of dark stain on it.  It has the right amount of character.  When I look at it, it reminds me of working with my dad.  He helped me finish it and it hung in that same place in my house until I relocated. 


Before I moved, I started searching for cheap furniture pieces on Kijiji.  Anyone moving, on a budget, would be crazy not to take advantage of Kijiji.  I got the matching set for $25.  They had a few scratches and dents.  My lovely boyfriend spent a day off sanding them for me and I threw on a coat of "vintage white" paint.  I fell in love with the hardware and knew that they could be something great.  I ended up loving the final product.


Anyone who knows me, knows that I love the outdoors.  $20 dollars at walmart and I had huge bushel of branches.  They add the perfect decorative touch. 



This is my most favourite purchase.  I didn't do this myself but I did find this lovely little piece on Kijiji.  It used to be a dresser! It is the perfect pop of colour.  And keeping with my handmade rule -- the pillows are courtesy of HASinspiration.  I love burlap.



This one I found on Kijiji as well, for $50 dollars.  It was probably a little more than I wanted to spend, but it was the perfect size and had all the right bones.  I love the bottom of it.  Again, my lovely boyfriend spent some time sanding it and I threw a coat of paint on it.  I left some of the sanded wood visible to give it that "worn", restored, vintage look I was going for.  The handles I picked up from RONA and match the nightstands' hardware perfectly.

Hope I can inspire some of you to restore an old piece of furniture! I say don't be shy, go to town on it!
On a side note, I've done some work on my blog.  Take a look around! 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice Kijiji finds! Usually I focus on funny Kijiji ads but it's always a treat to see people getting good home decor pieces...even better when they put their own personal touches on them. Now if I could only get my wife to refinish the cabinets and such that we picked up from Kijiji, we'd have even more room in the basement.